A window blind is used to cover up a window, giving your home privacy and shade. Generally, it is attached to the inside of a window, although many blinds stores also sell plantation shutters, which are found outside. The below will give you some vital information about blinds.
Types of Blinds
There are many types of blinds. Firstly, there are slat blinds, which have a range of horizontal flat slats, joined together with string, allowing them to rotate. Light can pass in between the slats, but they can be rotated up to 170 degrees, thereby keeping the light out. Alternatively, they can be lifted up completely so that light can come in freely. There are a number of different slat blinds, including:
- Venetian blinds, brought to Venice in the late 18th These quickly became popular all over Europe. They are made from plastic, metal or wood slats and include the popular bamboo blinds.
- Miniblinds, which are like Venetians but with much thinner slates.
- Track blinds or vertical blinds, which are made up of metal or plastic horizontal slats that allow for a 90 degree rotation, or that can be folded up completely.
Then, there are solid blinds, or window shades. These cannot rotate, which is what sets them apart from the Venetians. However, they can be folded or rolled up to allow for light to come in. Types of solid blinds include:
- Holland blinds or roller shades, that can be pulled down fully.
- Woven wood blinds, made from decorative bamboo or other wood, put together with a colorful yarn or other type of material. They can be folded out the way or rolled up fully. Known for their energy efficiency and light control, these are becoming very popular very quickly.
- Pleated shades, which can be pulled upwards.
- Cellular shades or honeycomb shades, which are like pleated shades but have multiple pleats that are joined together. This provides a higher degree of insulation. They come in various ‘cell styles’, including double and triple.
- Roman shades, which are made of a piece of fabric with a woven cord, allowing the shade to be lowered or raised. When raised, they form an accordion pattern. They are also very energy efficient, as well as being user friendly.
When you install your blinds, you have to make sure that they are not completely unobstructed. This way, when it is fully extended, it is able to hang freely. Sometimes, you will have to cut your blinds in order to have them fit your window, unless you choose a made to measure model. This is why it is very important that you take the right measurements, both in terms of width and length. If you want blinds in your bathroom, kitchen or other high moisture environment, you will need to make sure that they are made of a material that is able to withstand those levels of moisture. There are many things to think about, in other words, but it is good to know that you will find something that matches your needs.